Origin: Costa, Sierra Sur, Mixteca, Cañada, and Papaloapan regions of Oaxaca, Mexico Altitude: 3,000 – 5,200 feet Varieties: Bourbon, Mundo Novo & Typica Process: Washed Drying: Sun Dried Roast: Medium (435) Notes: Smoked Peach, Honey & Milk Chocolate
Mexico’s diverse geography, from the soaring altitudes of the country’s four mountain ranges to the beautiful coastal regions along the Pacific, supports diverse farming practices and a broad variety of crops. The growing regions of Oaxaca shares much of the same character (altitude, harvest period) as Guatemala’s fertile Huehuetenango region, which lies directly to the east. Our Mexico boasts a medium to heavy body with dark chocolate and malt tasting notes. Farmers in the region have begun a transition back to organic farming techniques as a way to achieve self-sufficiency and to create sustainability for their communities. The continued development of a network of Fair Trade farmers’ cooperatives is helping local people slowly improve their quality of life.
Coffee plants were introduced to Veracruz, a state located on the Atlantic coast, in the 18th century. Coffee plants were spread rapidly though out the 12 states of Mexico during the 1980s. Our Mexico is Fair Trade certified and produced by UNECAFE, a Co-op with over 2,000 members. Of those members, 40% are women. Oaxaca is on the Pacific coast is regarded as one of the most biologically diverse states in Mexico. Members of UNECAFE participate in agroforestry and sustainable harvesting practices.
• Oaxacan farmers are known to separate coffee exceptionally well both before and during processing.
• The Sierre Madra mountain range provides the region with volcanic soils and lush vegetation.
• Oaxaca, along with neighboring state Chiapas, have the largest indigenous populations in the country.
• Fair Trade organizations are now instrumental in socio-economic development in the area.
• Organic farming is slowly strengthening local economies and improving nutrition.
• Coffee agriculture in the region is ecologically sustainable and community-driven.
New! A vibrant, balanced twist on the age-old Mocha Java blend, Brooklyn style! Earthy and bold, with fruity notes and a distinctive cocoa-like finish.
SUMATRA ACEH DARK ROASTETHIOPIAN NATURAL